Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Ismaiil's going green! - Part I



Yes, my 9 year old son (1 week short of turning 10) is going green. He absolutely LOVES the color green. If it's green, it's for him. I really have to keep a close watch to monitor his green intake.... clothing in particular. Luckily blue jeans aren't ..green.
Anyway, so we moved to a new place on October 1st and I had this fabulous notion that I was going to have ALL the painted completed before moving in. Needless to say we're bunking together in my room until his room has been completed. It's taken me weeks to get the green concept in order as it pertains to a tween and not so much a young child. Ish has a 'stache for goodness sakes. No primary colors, please.
After several trips between Home Depot and Lowes we found the perfect color that was a bit cheery, but not bold enough to be mistaken for a chroma key on the next set of a Hollywood Blockbuster. Glidden's Lucky Shamrock it was. So, what else goes w/ lucky shamrock green for a tween boy? Ah ha.. DENIM.. and navy! After one dreary afternoon of primer painting and a runny wall (note: don't leave windows open when it's raining and when there's excessive moisture in the air) that I thought was irreparable, we went from a royalish blue to our beloved Lucky Shamrock.

Accessories:
I thought of this bright idea to build his desk and shelf (note the wood sitting on the floor next to the green wall). After taking 2 or more trips to a co-workers cubi' for tips and tricks on Home Improvement and plywood, I purchased my materials and came up with a cube shelf and desk/table top. . These have yet to be painted Glidden's Rich Navy with IKEA Vika legs attached. I however have made Ismaiil's curtains. It took a whopping viewathon worth of the new season of teen mom on MTV to complete my first "detailed" grommet curtain project. I made them wide/long enough to cover the brown window frames that cannot be painted per the lanlords request. Oh, and they are snap grommets! The "end caps" of the conduit pipe are capped w/ two metallic spray painted foam balls that will be replaced shortly being that they look like bunched up foil (click on denim curtain photo for a closer look). The conduit piping idea replaces the flimsy PVC, short hardware store dowels and more expensive commercial wooden or metal curtain rods for a whopping $1.67 at Lowes! JACKPOT!

Well, stay tuned for Part II (since I have not completed the room past making the curtains.)..........


2 comments:

  1. AWESOME!! I look forward to keeping track of Ish's GREEN DREAMS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay to the green dreams!! I love the green wall

    ReplyDelete